Indoor Air Quality
New residences are tightly sealed and insulated. While this provides energy efficiency, the reduction in filtration, increased indoor contaminants, and continual recirculation can cause issues. Keystone Heating & AC will help provide an energy-efficient home while improving air quality and air flow. Air quality services include an in home audit and quality products that work to improve the quality of a home's air.
Contact us at 262-554-1080 for improved indoor air quality within Racine and Kenosha.
Warnings a Home Has Poor Indoor Air Quality
Pollution can be two to five times worse inside a home compared to the outdoors, as noted by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Contaminated air circulating throughout a home may cause headaches and allergy attacks. Mold and mildew within a home can also cause a host of health problems.
Even though health problems may be present due to other factors, they could also be a sign a home has indoor air quality (IAQ) issues. This is particularly true if symptoms improve while outside of the home.
- Itchy eyes, nose, throat, or skin
- Headaches and sinus problems
- Elevated allergy or asthma issues
- Coughing and sneezing
- Light-headedness or nausea
An outdated heating and cooling system may be a factor in poor indoor air quality, most commonly if the HVAC system appears to be having difficulty cleaning air, adjusting humidity, or keeping temperatures consistent.
Further indicators indoor air quality needs improvement include:
- Excessive static or mold growth
- Excessive dust
- Stale odors
How Can I Prevent Indoor Air Quality Issues?
Preventing indoor air quality issues can be achieved by following these steps:
- Schedule an indoor air quality audit with Keystone Heating & AC. Our experts will test for factors that impact air quality such as humidity, carbon monoxide, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Clean frequently to decrease dust mites which can increase allergy and asthma symptoms.
- Keep the home free of secondhand smoke.
- Consider a whole-home filtration system to reduce odors instead of masking them with air fresheners or scented candles. These pollutants include chemicals that can result in respiratory issues.
- Vent gas-burning appliances, including stoves and water heaters, to the outside.
- Keep humidity levels comfortable with a humidifier or dehumidifier. Set humidity under 50% to deter mold and mildew growth.
- Inspect for radon. Ongoing exposure to this non-colored, radioactive gas is the main cause of lung cancer among people who have never smoked, the EPA states. Radon test kits can be purchased online or contact Wisconsin's radon program for details on discounted or free kits.
- Use a ventilation system to substitute contaminated indoor air with healthier outside air.
- Select green cleaning and painting items that are low in or free of VOCs. High amounts of VOCs can cause problems with those that have respiratory disorders.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors close to bedrooms and near gas burning appliances.
Benefit from Breathing Fresher Air
With a dedicated team of certified professionals and top-of-the-line indoor air quality products, Keystone Heating & AC can help any home. Call 262-554-1080 or contact us online today to make an appointment.